Monday 29 August 2011

Thing 14 - Zotero/Mendeley/Citeulike

This is going to be a very brief blog! I haven't had reason to use referencing since my undergraduate dissertation which was a very long time ago. Blushing, I also have to confess that it was in the days when such documents were written by hand & then handed to someone else to type/print up. Anyway, the point is that, having painstakingly constructed reference lists manually, I can fully appreciate the benefits of these & similar online tools. My current & past working environments have not given me any reason to learn about or use such tools. As I intend to study for a LIS Masters in the future, however, I would definitely try using online referencing (and type up my own dissertation!). I read all the info provided on the above 3 tools, watched the videos, followed the links to the comparison of all the different referencing tools, read lots of the CPD23 blogs for this particular Thing, but have to make my second confession of this blog: I didn't actually try out any of the tools. I'm not very patient at trying out something if it is not applicable to me in some way at that time. I need the incentive of practical application in order to learn. But, thank you CPD23 for bringing these potentially useful tools to my notice. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't download any of these tools either - I'm not sure what the point is as I don't need them at the moment, and I'll probably have forgotten how to use them by the time I do. However I agree it's great to know that they exist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laura Steel

    Thanks for the reassurance Laura! I think it's all part of protecting yourself from information overload.

    ReplyDelete